- Office Location: Room 326, 534 Research Dr
- Email Address: email@example.com
July. 2020 - Present, Duke University, NC, USA
Academic Career Enrichment Scholars (ACES) research track resident
Aug. 2012 - May. 2020, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA
M.D., June 2020
Ph.D. in Bioengineering, August 2019
Thesis: “Harnessing nonlinear magnetic fields to control nanoparticle delivery and drug release”
Sept. 2009 - June. 2012, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, USA
B.S. in Biological Engineering, Minor in Music, Phi Beta Kappa
Jan. 2018 - June. 2020, Sonosolve LLC, PA, USA
Tested sonication device for clearing bacterial films from central venous catheters
Expanded use of sonication device for clearing chest tubes
Worked with Teleflex for further device testing and commercialization
- Nov. 2014 - June. 2018
Tsourkas and Issadore Labs – University of Pennsylvania Department of Bioengineering Harnessing Nonlinear Magnetic Fields to Control Nanoparticle Delivery and Drug Release, Philadelphia, PA, USA
- Aug. 2014 – Oct. 2014
Bassett Lab – University of Pennsylvania Department of Bioengineering Network Science and Predictions of Learning, Philadelphia, PA, USA
- Oct. 2009 – June. 2012
Niles Lab – Massachusetts Institute of Technology Department of Biological Engineering Using Synthetic Biology to Control Protein Translation, Cambridge, MA, USA
- May. 2010 – June. 2011
Guttag Lab – Massachusetts Institute of Technology Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science – Machine Learning for Cardiac Risk Prediction, Cambridge, MA, USA
- Wei Y, Luo L, Gui T, Yu F, Yan L, Yao L, Zhong L, Yu W, Han B, Patel JM, Liu JF, Beier F, Levin LS, Nelson C, Shao Z, Han L, Mauck RL, Tsourkas A, Ahn J, Cheng Z, & Qin L. (2021). Targeting cartilage EGFR pathway for osteoarthritis treatment. Sci Transl Med, 13(576), eabb3946.
- Liu JF, Lan Z, Ferrari C, Stein JM, Higbee-Dempsey EM, Yan L, Cheng Z, Issadore D, & Tsourkas A. (2019). Magnetically driven accumulation and penetration of nanocarriers in deep tissue solid tumors. ACS Nano, (14)1, 142-152.
- Liu JF, Jang B, Issadore D, & Tsourkas A. (2019). Use of magnetic nanoparticles for hyperthermia, drug delivery, and tumor targeting. Wiley Interdiscip Rev Nanomed Nanobiotechnol., 11(6), e1571.
- Tsourkas A, Issadore D, & Liu J. (2018). Systems for enhancing accumulation and penetration of nanoparticles in tissues and uses thereof. U.S. Provisional Patent Application No. 62/726,840.
- Liu JF, Neel N, Dang P, Lamb M, McKenna J, Rodgers L, Litt B, Cheng Z, Tsourkas A, & Issadore D. (2018). Radiofrequency-triggered drug release from nanoliposomes with millimeter-scale resolution using a superimposed static gating field. Small, 14(44), e1802563.
- Liu J, Tsourkas A, Issadore D. (2017). Magnetically-driven microfluidic pump for self-contained, low sample volume diafiltration, microfluidic diafiltration apparatus, and methods for carrying out low sample volume diafiltration. U.S. Provisional Patent Application No. 62/569,880.
- Liu JF, Yadavali S, Tsourkas A, & Issadore D. (2017). Microfluidic diafiltration-on-chip using an integrated magnetic peristaltic micropump. Lab Chip, 17(22), 3796-803.
- Thawani JP, Amirshaghaghi A, Yan L, Stein JM, Liu J, & Tsourkas A. (2017). Photoacoustic-guided surgery with indocyanine green-coated superparamagnetic iron oxide nanoparticle clusters. Small, 13(37).
- Yan L, Miller J, Yuan M, Liu JF, Busch TM, Tsourkas A, & Cheng Z. (2017). Improved photodynamic therapy efficacy of Protoporphyrin IX loaded polymeric micelles using erlotinib pretreatment. Biomacromolecules, 18(6), 1836-44.
- Crayton SH, Chen AK, Liu JF, Higbee-Dempsey EM, Huang CH, Tsourkas A, & Cheng Z. (2017) 3.20 Molecular Imaging. In: Healy, K.E., Hutmacher, D.W., Grainger, D.W., and Kirkpatrick, C.J. (eds.), Comprehensive Biomaterials II, vol. 3, pp. 424–466. Oxford: Elsevier.
- Li J, Ding J, Liu T, Liu JF, Yan L, & Chen X. (2017). Poly(lactic acid) controlled drug delivery. In: Advances in Polymer Science. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg.
- Goldfless SJ, Belmont BJ, de Paz AM, Liu JF, & Niles JC. (2012). Direct and specific chemical control of eukaryotic translation with a synthetic RNA-protein interaction. Nucleic Acids Res. 40(9), e64
- Ganeshapillai G, Liu JF, & Guttag J. (2011). Reconstruction of ECG signals in presence of corruption. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc, 2011, 3764 – 7.
- Singh A., Liu J, & Guttag JV. (2010). Discretization of continuous ECG-based risk metrics using asymmetric and warped entropy measures. Computing in Cardiology, 37, 473 – 476.
AWARDS AND HONORS:
Graduate research funded by NIH grant T32 NS091006. Selected from internal Penn application. (July 2015 – June 2017)
Mary Ellis Bell Prize, Medical Student Research Paper Competition (March 2018)