- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) Candidate in Biomedical Engineering
Aug. 2017-July. 2019
Wichita State University, Wichita, KS
Master of Science (M.S.) in Biomedical Engineering
Aug. 2008-May. 2016
Wichita State University, Wichita, KS.
Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biomedical Engineering
- Becker RA, Cluff K. “Microwave Archimedean Spiral Resonator Detection of Peripheral Limb Deep Arterial Hemodynamics: A Multi-Site Validation Study”. Cardiovascular Engineering and Technology. 2019. (Submitted, pending review)
- Becker RA, Rogers J, Cluff K. “Skin Patch RF Resonator for Detection of Pulsatile Blood Volume Shifts”. Cardiovascular Engineering and Technology IEEE Transactions of Biomedical Engineering. 2019. (Submitted, pending review)
- Becker RA, Duraisamy N, Mehraein H, Farhoud H, Collins T, Casale GP, Pipinos II, Subbiah J, Cluff K. “Optical probing of gastrocnemius in patients with peripheral artery disease characterizes myopathic biochemical alterations and correlates with stage of disease”. Physiological Reports 2017:5:e13161
- Becker RA, Cluff K, Duraisamy N, Casale GP, Pipinos II. "Analysis of Ischemic Muscle in Patients with Peripheral Artery Disease using X-Ray Spectroscopy". Journal of Surgical Research 2017:220:79-87.
- Cluff K, Becker RA, Jayakumar B, Han K, Condon E, Dudley K, Szatkowski G, Pipinos II, Amick RZ, Patterson J. "Passive Wearable Skin Patch Sensor Measures Limb Hemodynamics Based on Electromagnetic Resonance". IEEE Transactions of Biomedical Engineering. 2017:99
- Griffith J, Cluff K, Eckerman B, Aldrich J, Becker RA, Moore-Jansen P, Patterson J. “Non-invasive Electromagnetic Skin Patch Sensor to Measure Intracranial Fluid-Volume Shifts”. Sensors. 2018.
- Becker RA, Loflin B, Bhandari S, Villafana-Ibarra B, Griffith J, Cluff K. “Passive RF resonator for pulsatile blood flow monitoring”. 2018. IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society. July 17-21. Honolulu, HI.
- Villafana-Ibarra B, Bhandari S, Becker RA, Cluff K. (2018). “Spiral Resonators for Objective Screening of Cutaneous Melanoma”. IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society. July 17-21. Honolulu, HI.
- Griffith JL, Eckerman BD, Loflin B, Becker RA, Martin BA, Cluff K. 2018. Non-Invasive Detection of Intracranial Pressure Changes by a Novel Radio Frequency Resonant Skin Patch Sensor”. IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society. July 17-21. Honolulu, HI.
- Becker RA, RF resonant skin patch sensor for peripheral limb hemodynamics. Wichita State University. 2019
Graduate Research Assistant (GRA) in Dr. Tony Huang's Acoustofluidics Lab
(2020- present) - Duke University
Engineering Consultant for Prenatal Hope
- Planning and design of intravaginal probe for continuous monitoring of skin pH and tissue oxygenation for detection of fetal acidosis during childbirth
- Design of studies for clinical trials
- 510k fda form preparation - writing, editing and supervision
Graduate Research Assistant (GRA) in Dr. Kim Cluff’s BIoME Lab
(2017 – Present) – Wichita State University
- Development of a skin patch sensor for detecting blood flow quality and abnormalities
- Design and student training of particle image velocimetry (PIV) labs for biofluid mechanics classes
- Development of an electromagnetic sensor for assessing intracranial health
- Preparation and presentation of lecture material for bio-computational modeling, bioinstrumentation, biomedical imaging and biofluid mechanics classes
- Assisted in writing funded grants
- Development of an early screening method for melanoma detection via RF resonator sensors
- Synthesis of various tissue phantoms (brain, skin, blood) for specific absorption rate (SAR) validation studies
- Antenna design for development of a miniaturized vector network analyzer (VNA)
Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA)
- TA and guest lecturer for the following classes:
BME 480: Bioinstrumentation (Spring 2018)
BME 738: Biomedical Imaging (Fall 2017 and Spring 2019)
BME 462: Intro to Biofluids (Fall 2017)
BME 735: Biocomputational Modeling (Spring 2017 and Fall 2018)
- Lab instructor:
Developed Ultrasound imaging lab protocol and guided lab groups with hands on learning in ultrasound imaging
Developed Hemoflow biofluids lab protocol and guided lab groups with hands on learning in fluids
Undergraduate Research Assistant in Dr. Kim Cluff’s BIoME Lab
(2014 – 2017) – Wichita State University
- Hindlimb ischemia murine model for peripheral artery disease modeling – obtained muscle biopsies from ischemic murine muscle to quantitatively analyze cellular level damage using Raman micro-spectroscopy.
- Optimization of nanoparticle-embedded scaffolds to improve neural cell remyelination through Raman micro-spectroscopy
- Ultrasound operation – train fellow researchers and students on the instrument and conduct labs for a biomedical imaging course
- Disposable heart screening patch - Signal processing of electrocardiogram (ECG) waveforms to detect abnormal heart arrhythmias
- Scanning electron microscopy of myofiber ultrastructure to quantitatively analyze damage to ischemic muscle.
- Integrating open circuit resonant sensors into garments for monitoring physiological parameters (NASA EPSCoR)
- IEEE N3XT Star award
- Red Bull Launch Institute: Grand Prize Recipient
- TechCrunch Disrupt SF: 3-day Startup Alley special guest
- $10,000. Kansas City Entrepreneurship Challenge 2nd place
- $1,000. Shocker New Venture Competition 4th place
- $1,000. Dwane and Velma Wallace 2018 Graduate Student Research Award
- WSU Ventures Innovation Awards – Bright Future Award
- $2,500. John A. See Innovation Grant: Design for integrated biofeedback clothing. 1/2018.
- $5,200. NIH K-INBRE Summer/Semester Scholar Award: Identify important intracellular to extracellular chemical variations which may inhibit cell function in muscle cell pathology. NIH K-INBRE. 9/2015 - 5/2016.
- Department of Defense Encountering Innovation Finalist
In the News
- Forbes: Red Bull Joins A Growing List Of Corporate Companies Investing In Young Entrepreneurs. (Link: https://www.forbes.com/sites/haleysuh/2018/08/10/red-bull-joins-a-growin...)
- CGTN: Techcrunch Disrupt SF 2018: More Chinese tech firms take part (Link: https://america.cgtn.com/2018/09/07/techcrunch-disrupt-sf-2018-more-chin...)
- IEEE: IEEE ENTREPRENEURSHIP AT TECH CRUNCH DISRUPT 2018 (Link: https://entrepreneurship.ieee.org/2018_09_17_ieee-entrepreneurship-tech-...)
- TheHealthcareBlog: THCB Spotlights: CY5 (Link: http://thehealthcareblog.com/blog/2018/10/03/thcb-spotlights-cy5/)
- Wichita Business Journal: Wichita State Students Launch Health Care Technology Startup (Link: https://www.bizjournals.com/wichita/news/2018/08/22/wichita-state-studen...)
- Fahrenheit 212: Giving Wings to Collegiate Entrepreneurs (Link: https://www.fahrenheit-212.com/boiling-point/giving-wings-to-collegiate-...)
- Wichita State University: WSU Students invent temporary biometric tracking tattoo (Link: https://www.wichita.edu/about/wsunews/news/2018/08-aug/cyfive_bioemetric...)
- Wichita State University: WSU student entrepreneurs chosen for Red Bull Innovation Summit (Link: https://www.wichita.edu/about/wsunews-releases/2018/08-aug/Cyfive_releas...)